nedelja, 19. junij 2011

Gipsy Caravan

I changed the crew and the vegetables, now it's radish that we pick. We look just like a Gipsy caravan when we move. Few days ago we finished in Jindo and moved a little bit to the north, somewhere near Gwangju or so. It doesn't really matter to me. In the evening we started loading the two pickups and a van with just everything that was in the previous (rented) house, including the fridge, kitchenware and TV. And working gear and food (mostly kimchi, of course) and blankets and so on - we left the house totally empty. And we hit the road and I couldn't stop laughing while looking at the huge fridge on the pickup in front of us. Now we're settled in an empty restaurant that by the looks probably closed a long time ago. With this radish team the accomodation is spartan and in no way crappy. And I sort of like my team mates. Again, mostly Chinese (two of them of the female persuasion), but also Koreans and a French. The boss is a tipical boss, shouting all the time and noone really cares about him. And after he spent all the day shouting and nagging and complaining how slow we are and that he will fire all of us on the way back to base he stops in a store and happily buys beers for all the crew. I started to imitate the Chinese guys, when the boss is complaining about something they just look blankly at him and smile and sometimes start speaking in Chinese. When he realizes that all his shouting is vane, he goes away. I have the feeling that the guys also like me (not the boss, he doesn't like anyone). When the Chilean guy gave up because the work was to hard for him, the Chinese came worried to me and asked if I'm going away with him. We had to drink a bottle of soju celebrating my will to stay.
And I learned some scarry facts about this vegetables picking. About safety. Clearly we wear gloves, that's absolutely usual everywhere in Asia, no matter what work you do. Just wearing gloves meaans you're working. But everyone also wears long sleeves or the working sleeves. I needed an interpreter to realize why the boss was first to firmly insist that I must - not should - wear them, too. Because when cutting the cabbages or pulling the radish (same shit everywhere) you slightly and slowly bruise the skin on your arms, which is not a problem in itself. I bet no boss gives a shit about your beauty skin treatments, the problem are the chemicals that are sprayed on the plants. Tons of them. Yeah, this is no organic farming, it's a mass production and I don't do it for fun.
To make the time pass away the guys play cards for money. Actually the women too. And the TV is always on, even by night. I try to do nothing, just rest. I found a spot with some free wireless in twenty minutes walking distance so I try to go there as often as possible, to the great amazement of my coworkers who just can't get why I'm doing it. Well, they're from another planet. One Chinese guy saw a Coke for the first time in his life only two days ago. I was surprised that actually still exist places on this globe that are safe from such shit products. Maybe I should learn Chinese, ask the guy where is he from and permanently move there.


Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar

STATISTIKA